Archive

Archive for May, 2009

Dynamic Named Sets in SQL Server Analysis Service 2008

Categories: SQL Analysis Services

SSAS 2008 Kerberos Issue with Windows Server 2008

May 7, 2009 1 comment

Here, here and here… After 2 days’ debugging and tracing, finally, I found this issue is a confirmed bug:  Errors may occur after configuring Analysis Services to use Kerberos authentication on Advanced Encryption Standard Aware Operating Systems (e.g. Vista, Windows 2008). Errors might look like one of the following:

·         The connection either timed out or was lost.

·         Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

·         An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

 

 I had the same issue with SSAS deployment. In BIDS, when I deploy the project using IP address, it is fine. However, when I try to use the server name, the error message “The connection either timed out or was lost” appears.

In addition, I had another extremely weird problem. When I use SSMS to connect to the SSAS server and browse one of the cubes, the following error happened. However, when I change the cube name from XXXX to XXXX1 (actually, change to anything), the cube works fine.

 

However, if I connect the SSAS sever by using its IP address instead of the server name, the cube is working as well. I suspect this issue is related to the Kerberos bug in Windows Server 2008.

P.S.  Here is the Software build:

Windows Server Enterprise 2008 with SP1 (Terminal Server, where I run BIDS and SSMS)

SQL Server 2008 Enterprise with SP1 (SSAS Server)

The best work around for now is to deploy SSAS onto a Windows 2003 Server. As Kerberos does not support IP Address, using Excel Services connecting to SSAS 2008 in SharePoint 2007 with Kerberos delegation is impossible at the moment. Microsoft has been aware of this issue and I hope they can release the fix ASAP.

Categories: SQL Analysis Services